RECIPES FROM HAYLEY,OUR CO-FOUNDER & WILDWOMAN
Goats Cheese Sea Salt Ice Cream & WilderBee Urban Chilli Honey Sundae
Our chilli honey comes alive when drizzled over ice cream and is equally just as amazing over creamy goats cheese so we decided to combine all three! Now before you run a mile, trust us.. this is an absolute bloody winner.
Inspired by a visit to our friend’s restaurant, The Cheese Bar where we drizzled WilderBee all over their delicious Devon blue cheese ice cream, poached pear and honeycomb. Next level.
Serves: 6 (have a bowl with plenty of ice at the ready)
- 4 large egg yolks
- A good pinch of sea salt flakes
- 3 ounces fresh crumbled goats cheese (we like to use Rosary Goats Cheese from Salisbury)
- 300ml heavy cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 40g WilderBee per sundae
1. Begin with the softened goats cheese in a mixing bowl and gradually whisk in the cream until smooth. Place a strainer over the bowl and set aside.
2. Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the milk with the sea salt until steamy and hot, stirring frequently being careful not to boil the milk. Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low flame, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens slightly and/or registers 170F on a thermometer. Strain immediately into the goats cheese mixture.
3. Place over an ice bath and stir until cold. Cover and chill the mixture overnight; this allows the milk proteins to relax and makes for a smoother ice cream. When the mixture is chilled, churn it in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape the ice cream into your desired freezer container, cover with a piece of parchment paper pressed directly to the surface of the ice cream and freeze until firm for a minimum of 3 hours or up to a month or two.
4. When you are ready to serve, line your sundae glass with a decent drizzle of WilderBee Urban Chilli Honey, two healthy scoops of the ice-cream and top with more WilderBee for good measure.
Buttermilk Popcorn Chicken
Popcorn chicken, one of my guilty pleasures and one of the first things we drizzled our chilli honey on. The salty, crispy chicken paired with sweet and spicy WilderBee is outstanding. To save us a penny or two I decided to make my own:
200ml buttermilk (or you can use full fat milk, add a squeeze of lemon and leave to stand for half an hour)
4 free range chicken thighs
125g plain flour
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp baking soda
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 free range eggs
1 tablespoon milk
Oil for deep frying
WilderBee Urban Chilli Honey for dipping or drizzling
Finely chopped coriander for garnish
1. Dice the chicken into small (popcorn sized) pieces
2. Cover completely with the buttermilk
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least for 2 hours)
4. Combine the flour and spices, baking soda, salt and pepper
5. Split into 2 plates
6. In a bowl, beat the 2 eggs and add a tablespoon of milk then place the bowl between the 2 plates of spiced flour
7. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour, dip in the egg and transfer to the second plate of flour
8. Heat the oil to deep frying temperature and place the chicken in small batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until the pieces turn golden brown on the outside and are cooked through. Depending on the size of the pieces this may be between 5-8 mins
9. Garnish with coriander and serve with our chilli honey
It’s as simple as that. Whether you dip or you drizzle, these beauties go amazingly well with our WilderBee Urban Chilli Honey. Enjoy!